Nicktoons 25th Anniversary
The Christmas Specials Wiki celebrates 25 years of Nickelodeon Animation!
Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, according to Linus van Pelt.
"The Santa Experience" is the first of three Christmas-themed episodes of the Nickelodeon animated series Rugrats. It was originally broadcast on the network on December 6, 1992, midway through the show's second season. The episode opens at a department store in the city, where Angelica goes to see the store's Santa and tells him what she wants for Christmas, the most important item on her list this year being a Deluxe Cynthia Beach House with attached garage. When he expresses some doubt that he can bring her all that stuff, Angelica figures out she isn't talking to the real Santa and furiously tears off his beard to expose him as a phony, causing a panic with the rest of the crowd waiting to see him when she blurts it out afterwards. To shut her up on the matter, the mall manager presents her with a big box of toys. Meanwhile, Chuckie is explaining to Tommy that he greatly fears the Christmas season because he thinks Santa Claus is scary. Tommy finds that idea ridiculous and offers to catch Santa when he shows up on Christmas Eve so he can show Chuckie that he is not scary. Later, the adults decide to rent a cabin in the mountains and spend Christmas there. Chas then decides that he'll dress up as Santa for the kids, but Drew thinks they should just hire a professional to do that job. (more)
- Jack Riley, the voice of Stu Pickles (Tommy and Dil Pickles' father) on Rugrats and All Grown Up!, died of pneumonia at the age of 80 on August 19th.
- Garry Marshall, who created Happy Days and its various spin-offs, and also developed the 1970s Odd Couple television series, died at the age of 81 on July 19th.
- Sesame Street has begun production on a new Christmas special, featuring guest appearances by Audra McDonald, Jim Gaffigan, and Zosia Mamet.
- Ronnie Claire Edwards passed away at the age of 83 on June 14th. Best known for the role of Corabeth Walton in The Waltons, she also played Martha in Guess Who's Coming to Christmas.
- Janet Waldo, the voice of Judy Jetson, died at the age of 96 on June 12th.
- The Hallmark Channel has announced eleven different original movies set to premiere as part of their Countdown to Christmas this year, including A Curveball Christmas, A Family for Christmas, A Prince for Christmas (not to be confused with last year's Ion Television movie of the same name), A Wish for Christmas (starring Joey Lawrence), Christmas Bucket List, Christmas Makeover, December Bride (not to be confused with the Roseanne episode), Joy to the World, Christmas Cookies, Suddenly Santa (formerly Picture Perfect Christmas), and Pair of Jacks (formerly I'll Be Home for Christmas).
- Alan Young, known to Disney fans as the voice of Scrooge McDuck, tragically passed away on May 19th at the age of 96.
- Comcast, the parent company of NBC Universal, has purchased DreamWorks Animation for $3.8 billion, thus bringing such franchises as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, and the Classic Media library (which includes the works of Jay Ward, UPA, and pre-1973 Rankin/Bass) under NBC Universal's ownership.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios has announced a new holiday TV special spun off from Frozen, directed by Prep & Landing directors Kevin Deters and Stevie Wermers-Skelton. It will be premiering on ABC in the 2017 holiday season.
- Universal Pictures has scheduled A Meyers Christmas, directed and written by David E. Talbert, for a November 11th release date.
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and will star Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of the Grinch. It is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
Upcoming Video Releases
- September 20th
- The Modern Family: The Complete Season 7 DVD set (which will include the episode "White Christmas") is scheduled for release.
- October 4th
- Paramount Home Media Distribution is releasing a DVD featuring a colorized version of The Andy Griffith Show's "Christmas Story".
- A Murdoch Mysteries Christmas is scheduled for a DVD and Blu-ray release.
- Christmas Melody and Charming Christmas are scheduled for release on DVD.
- October 11th
- It's a Wonderful Life, which celebrates its 70th anniversary this year, is receiving a Platinum Anniversary Edition DVD and Blu-ray.
- Paramount has a compilation DVD titled A Very Nick Jr. Christmas scheduled for release.
- October 18th
- The Back to the Future: The Animated Series episode "Dickens of a Christmas" is receiving its own single-disc DVD release (even though it's already available on the Complete Series and Complete 1st Season sets).
- October 25th
- Disney is releasing a new DVD of Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas in honor of the original 1991 movie's 25th anniversary. (Bizarrely, nothing has yet been said about an adjacent Blu-ray release.)
- November 1st
- Northpole: Open for Christmas is scheduled for a DVD release.
- "Race to Rescue Christmas" will be made available on the Power Rangers Dino Charge: Hero DVD.
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies