Christmas in July
Beat the summer heat with these s'winter-themed Christmas classics!
Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, according to Linus van Pelt.
Shrek the Halls is a Christmas special that premiered on ABC on November 28, 2007, based on DreamWorks Animation's Shrek feature film series. The half-hour special features Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and Antonio Banderas reprising their roles from the feature films. The special, which takes place between the events of Shrek the Third and Shrek Forever After, opens on July 18th, 159 days before Christmas, and Donkey is already starting to prepare for it. Gradually getting closer, he starts annoying Shrek about it until the night before Christmas Eve. Under Donkey's urging, Shrek reluctantly promises Princess Fiona a special Christmas surprise. Shrek goes to the local bookstore in Far, Far Away to try to find a present for Fiona, but since he does not know what Christmas is all about, the shopkeeper gives Shrek a copy of Christmas For Village Idiots, a step-by-step guide to celebrating the holiday. Shrek proceeds to follow the book's advice by decorating the house and getting a tree so he can spend a quiet Christmas Eve with his family, but Donkey brings all their fairy-tale friends to the swamp, ruining Shrek's plans. (more)
- Garry Marshall, who created Happy Days and its various spin-offs, and also developed the 1970s Odd Couple television series, died at the age of 81 on July 19th.
- Sesame Street has begun production on a new Christmas special, featuring guest appearances by Audra McDonald, Jim Gaffigan, and Zosia Mamet.
- Ronnie Claire Edwards passed away at the age of 83 on June 14th. Best known for the role of Corabeth Walton in The Waltons, she also played Martha in Guess Who's Coming to Christmas.
- Janet Waldo, the voice of Judy Jetson, died at the age of 96 on June 12th.
- The Hallmark Channel has announced eleven different original movies set to premiere as part of their Countdown to Christmas this year, including A Curveball Christmas, A Family for Christmas, A Prince for Christmas (not to be confused with last year's Ion Television movie of the same name), A Wish for Christmas (starring Joey Lawrence), Christmas Bucket List, Christmas Makeover, December Bride (not to be confused with the Roseanne episode), Joy to the World, Christmas Cookies, Suddenly Santa (formerly Picture Perfect Christmas), and Pair of Jacks (formerly I'll Be Home for Christmas). In the meantime, A Perfect Christmas will premiere on the channel on July 16th.
- Alan Young, known to Disney fans as the voice of Scrooge McDuck, tragically passed away on May 19th at the age of 96.
- Comcast, the parent company of NBC Universal, has purchased DreamWorks Animation for $3.8 billion, thus bringing such franchises as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, and the Classic Media library (which includes the works of Jay Ward, UPA, and pre-1973 Rankin/Bass) under NBC Universal's ownership.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios has announced a new holiday TV special spun off from Frozen, directed by Prep & Landing directors Kevin Deters and Stevie Wermers-Skelton. It will be premiering on ABC in the 2017 holiday season.
- Universal Pictures has scheduled A Meyers Christmas, directed and written by David E. Talbert, for a November 11th release date.
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and will star Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of the Grinch. It is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
Upcoming Video Releases
- July 26th
- Warner Archive has released the Family Matters: The Complete 7th Season manufacture-on-demand DVD set, which features "Fa La La La Laagghh!"
- August 2nd
- Mill Creek Entertainment is bringing out a Complete Series DVD set of the DIC Entertainment Heathcliff animated series, which will of course include "Christmas Memories" and "North Pole Cat".
- August 9th
- The Maude episode "Maude's Christmas Surprise" will be made available on Shout! Factory's Maude: The Complete Final Season DVD set.
- September 20th
- The Modern Family: The Complete Season 7 DVD set (which will include the episode "White Christmas") is scheduled for a release.
- October 4th
- Paramount Home Media Distribution is releasing a DVD featuring a colorized version of The Andy Griffith Show's "Christmas Story".
- A Murdoch Mysteries Christmas is scheduled for a DVD and Blu-ray release.
- Christmas Melody and Charming Christmas are scheduled for release on DVD.
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies