Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, according to Linus van Pelt.
Other Holiday Specials
Visit our sister wiki, the Other Holiday Specials Wiki.
We Wish You a Turtle Christmas is a direct-to-video special released in 1994, based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise. It was one of two musical live-action Ninja Turtles videos produced by Christopher Films and released in late 1994 (the other being Turtle Tunes). Like the similar Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Christmas video Alpha's Magical Christmas, which was also released around the same time, We Wish You a Turtle Christmas is notoriously known for being of poor production quality and having a barren, nonsensical story. The video opens on Christmas Eve, as the Ninja Turtles are busy trimming their Christmas tree, singing their own version of "Deck the Halls". After they finish the song, Raphael declares that they've officially announced their Christmas shopping, and they have to get started wrapping the presents. But the Turtles soon find out that they have forgotten to get a gift for their Master Splinter. The Turtles argue about which one of them was supposed to get the gift, until finally Raphael points out that they now have to go above the surface and buy a gift before the stores close. (more)
- ABC Family has announced their 2014 25 Days of Christmas schedule on their Facebook page. Highlights include the network television premiere of Arthur Christmas and new holiday episodes of The Fosters, Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars, Chasing Life, Melissa & Joey, and Baby Daddy. Ironically, they do not seem to be premiering a new Christmas-themed Original Movie this year.
- A television special based on Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever is planned to premiere on FOX late this year. FOX is also premiering another new Simpsons Christmas episode, titled "I Won't Be Home for Christmas".
- ABC has renewed The Great Christmas Light Fight for a second season, and they will also premiere Toy Story That Time Forgot, a half-hour Christmas special spun off from the Toy Story movie trilogy, on December 2nd.
- NBC is producing an animated Christmas special for this year titled How Murray Saved Christmas, based on the best-selling children's book of the same name by Mike Reiss.
- The Disney Channel is premiering Jessie's Aloha Holidays with Parker and Joey, a special one-hour Christmas crossover between Jessie and Liv and Maddie, on November 28th.
- Nickelodeon is working on another made-for-TV Christmas movie titled Santa Hunters.
- The Hallmark Channel is producing a dozen new Christmas movies this year. One of them, Northpole, will star American Idol winner Candace Glover and air in November. Other Hallmark movies coming this year include A Cowboy for Christmas, Angel on my Tree, The Christmas Shepherd, Mr. Miracle, A Royal Christmas, One Christmas Eve (premiering on ABC as a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie), The Nine Lives of Christmas, One Starry Christmas, A Cookie Cutter Christmas, Angels and Ornaments, Christmas Parade, Christmas Party, Christmas Under Wraps, Holiday Help, and a Christmas film based on Signed, Sealed, Delivered.
- Lifetime is premiering five new Christmas movies - An En Vogue Christmas on November 22nd, Seasons of Love on November 23rd, Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever on November 29th, Wally Lamb's Wishin' and Hopin' on December 6th, and The Santa Con on December 13th.
- The Up TV network is premiering three original movies - Naughty & Nice, The Tree That Saved Christmas, and Paper Angels.
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an upcoming animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
- Comedian Robin Williams, who played Charlie Boyd in Noel and George the Kiwi in A Wish For Wings That Work, and was best known as the original voice of Genie from Disney's Aladdin, was found dead on August 11th at the age of 63.
- Lauren Bacall, who played the grandmother in All I Want for Christmas, passed away at the age of 89 on August 12th.
- Richard Attenborough, the actor who played Santa Claus in the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street, died at the age of 90 on August 24th.
- Joan Rivers, who appeared in Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special, died on September 4th at the age of 81.
- Jan Hooks, the woman who voiced Lil in Frosty Returns (not to be confused with Phil DeVille's twin sister) and also the original voice of Manjula Nahasapeemapetilon (Apu's wife on The Simpsons), died at the age of 57 on October 9th.
- Gerard "Gerry" Parkes, the actor who portrayed Doc in the North American version of Fraggle Rock, passed away at the age of 90 on October 19th.
Upcoming Video Releases
- Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special is now available in HD as part of Shout! Factory's Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Complete Series Blu-ray set.
- Paul "ALF" Fusco's Santa's Magic Toy Bag is now available on DVD.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is scheduled to receive a 50th Anniversary Edition DVD and Blu-ray release from Anderson Digital.
- A Garfield Christmas Special is being made available again (along with four more of the Garfield animated specials) on Anderson Digital's Garfield Holiday Collection DVD.
- Disney will release a 2-Movie Collection Blu-ray featuring Mickey's Once and Twice Upon a Christmas.
- "A Lost Claus" will be made available on the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends: Season 3 manufacture-on-demand DVD set.
- The Christmas Candle will be released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- The Christmas Miracle and The Christmas Gift are to be released on DVD.
- Paramount will release a 2-Movie Collection DVD containing The Thanksgiving Treasure and The House Without a Christmas Tree.
- A DVD of Sofia the First: Holiday in Enchancia is scheduled for release.
- Yet another Christmas movie about a dog, this one titled A Belle for Christmas, is scheduled for DVD release.
- An Evergreen Christmas, a direct-to-video film starring Robert Loggia, is scheduled to be released.
- The 1938 adaptation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas in Connecticut will be made available on Blu-ray from Warner Home Video.
- Dear Secret Santa will be made available on DVD.
- If you miss the premieres of The Nine Lives of Christmas and A Cookie Cutter Christmas on the Hallmark Channel, you'll be able to buy the DVD that'll be available exclusively at Walmart.
- The Power Rangers Megaforce episode "The Robo Knight Before Christmas" is getting its own DVD release.
- The Robot Chicken Christmas Specials DVD is planned for release.
- "Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C and Propane" will be made available on the King of the Hill: The Complete 8th Season DVD set.
- If you miss the premiere of Northpole on the Hallmark Channel, you'll be able to buy the DVD that comes out on this day.
- A Merry Friggin' Christmas, the final starring role of the late Robin Williams, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- A Royal Christmas will be made available on DVD exclusively at Walmart for those who miss the premiere broadcast.
- Warner Home Video is issuing a 50th Anniversary Edition DVD of A Charlie Brown Christmas (even though the special's 50th anniversary is actually next year).
- "Simpsons Christmas Stories" will be made available on The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season DVD set.
- Guess Who's Coming to Christmas is being released on DVD.
- Jingle All the Way 2, a Schwarzenegger-less direct-to-video sequel to the 1996 movie, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- Echo Bridge Entertainment is bringing out another compilation DVD of classic TV Christmas episodes - Classic TV Christmas Volume 3.
- "Christmas Guy" will be made available on the Family Guy: Volume 13 DVD set.
- If you miss the premieres of Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever on Lifetime or How Murray Saved Christmas on NBC, you'll be able to buy their DVD releases that come out on this day.
- Amazon.com is taking preorders for the Robot and Monster: The Complete Series manufacture-on-demand DVD set (which will contain "Baconmas").
- An individual DVD set of The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete 6th Season (which will contain "Twas the Pie Before Christmas") will be released on a currently unspecified date.
- The Glee: The Complete 5th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets, which will contain "Previously Unaired Christmas", will be released on a currently unspecified date.
- The Michael J. Fox Show: The Complete 1st Season, which will include the show's "Christmas" episode, is planned for release on an unspecified date.
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies