Disney TV Animation is 30!
We wish a happy 30th anniversary to Walt Disney Television Animation!
Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, as quoted by Linus van Pelt.
"It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" is the second Christmas-themed episode of the Nickelodeon animated series SpongeBob SquarePants, produced for the show's eighth season. It was released as a direct-to-video special on October 30, 2012, before making its televised premieres on CBS on November 23rd and on Nickelodeon on December 6th of the same year. Unlike the series' first Christmas episode, "Christmas Who?", this special was done in stop-motion animation, much like many of the Rankin/Bass holiday specials. The special opens on Patchy the Pirate driving a mail truck (parodying the role of S. D. Kluger from Santa Claus is Comin' to Town) through a snowy mountain area, explaining to the viewer that he wanted to make sure Santa Claus got his letter this year, so he has given the mailman the day off (or so he claims; in actuality, he has tied up the mailman and put him in the back of the truck). His parrot, Potty, however, doubts that Patchy knows the way to the North Pole. As they debate which Christmas song contains the directions in its lyrics, the truck suddenly runs over a (literal) fork in the road. As the truck starts spinning out of control, Patchy suggests they show the viewers what SpongeBob is up to this Christmas. (more)
- A television special based on Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever is planned to premiere on FOX in the future.
- The Hallmark Channel has at least three new movies planned for next Christmas - Northpole 2, The Bridge, and Christmas Neverending.
- A movie titled The Christmas Pearl is in the works for Lifetime's Christmas line-up next year.
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
- Christine Cavanaugh, best known for roles such as Gosalyn Mallard from Darkwing Duck and the original voices of Chuckie Finster from Rugrats and Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory, passed away at the age of 55 of December 22nd.
- Rod Taylor, who played Frank Agretti on Falcon Crest (including its Christmas episode) died at the age of 84 on January 11th.
- Barrie Ingham, who played the mayor in the 1989 adaptation of The Tailor of Gloucester and was best known for voicing Basil in Disney's The Great Mouse Detective, died at the age of 82 on January 23rd.
- Gary Owens died at the age of 80 on February 12th. He voiced the reporter in "It's a Very Merry Eek's-Mas", but was more famously known as the announcer on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and providing voices for superheroes such as Batman, Space Ghost, Blue Falcon, Powdered Toast Man, and Badly Animated Man.
Upcoming Video Releases
- March 10th
- The Pee-Wee's Playhouse: Seasons 3, 4 & 5 DVD set (which contains Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special) will be made available for those who didn't buy the Complete Series DVD or Blu-ray set.
- March 17th
- Shout! Factory is releasing a Complete Series DVD set for Maude (which will include "The Christmas Party", "Walter's Christmas Gift", and "Maude's Christmas Surprise").
- March 24th
- "Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean" will be featured on Shout! Factory's Mr. Bean - The Whole Bean: Remastered 25th Anniversary Collection DVD set.
- April 7th
- Olive Films is releasing DVD sets of King of the Hill's eighth and ninth seasons (which will contain "Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C and Propane" and "Ms. Wakefield", respectively).
- April 21st
- Shout! Factory is releasing The Nanny: The Complete Series DVD set (which will include the series' "Christmas Episode" and "Oy to the World").
- April 28th
- An individual DVD release of The Jeffersons: Season Seven (which contains "All I Want for Christmas" is coming from Shout! Factory.
- May 26th
- Shout! Factory will release an individual DVD set of Welcome Back, Kotter: The Complete Third Season (including "A Sweathog Christmas Special").
- Unknown dates
- The Michael J. Fox Show: The Complete 1st Season, which will include the show's "Christmas" episode, is planned for release on an unspecified date.
- Amazon.com is taking preorders for The Big Bang Theory: The Complete 8th Season (which includes "The Clean Room Infiltration").
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies