"Comfort and Joy" is the Christmas episode of the Warner Bros. animated television series Justice League, originally broadcast on Cartoon Network on December 13, 2003. It is also notably the only single-part episode of the Justice League animated series prior to its continuation as Justice League Unlimited.
The story begins on an ice planet where the superheroes are working to build a force-field generator to stabilize the planet's orbit. The gratitude felt by the inhabitants are decided as a good way to start their Christmas vacation back on Earth. Green Lantern and Hawkgirl stay behind to enjoy the planet's wintery weather, and engage in a snowball fight.
Back on Earth, the Flash makes his annual visit to an orphanage, where he promises to procure a rare doll for the children's Christmas wish. As he races all over the planet in search of a store who still has the item in stock, he eventually gets the idea from a Santa Claus window display to go to the source: the toy's manufacturer in Japan. With the last doll in hand, he heads for the orphanage only to be stopped by the Ultra-Humanite who damages the robotic doll in the process. In keeping with the holiday spirit, Ultra-Humanite fixes the toy with a few modifications: instead of farting, the toy now recites classic Christmas literature.
In the heartland of America, Clark Kent arrives home in Smallville, Kansas to spend the holiday with his adoptive parents. He brings with him another alien who didn't grow up with the Christmas traditions, the Martian Manhunter, who struggles to understand the meaning of the season.
- Michael Rosenbaum, who voiced the Flash on this series, also portrayed Lex Luthor on Smallville, including its Christmas episode, "Lexmas". Mike Farrell, who voiced Jonathan Kent, was another holiday veteran; he portrayed B.J. Hunnicutt on M*A*S*H, including its Christmas episodes.
The episode was made available on the Justice League: Season Two DVD set, released on March 21, 2006, presented in non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen. It was later made available in HD on the Blu-ray set of the same name, released on July 26, 2011.
|Phil LaMarr|| Green Lantern|
|Carl Lumbly||J'onn J'onzz|
|George Newbern|| Clark Kent / Superman|
D.J. Rubber Ducky (uncredited)
|Mike Farrell|| Jonathan Kent|
Store owner (uncredited)
|Shelley Fabares||Martha Kent|
|Kimberly Brooks||Mrs. Saunders|
|Robert Ito||Mr. Hama|
|Steve Wash, Jr.||Little boy|
|Amber Hood||Little girl|
- DC Animated Universe Wiki: Comfort and Joy
- Episode review at World's Finest Online
- "Comfort and Joy" at the Justice League Watchtower
- "Comfort and Joy" at TV.com
- "Comfort and Joy" at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- "Comfort and Joy" at the Internet Movie Database