Elmo is a 3½-year-old furry red Muppet monster with an orange nose who appears on the television show Sesame Street. He debuted with the name Baby Monster during the early 1970s, when he usually only appeared in the background and was performed by numerous Muppeteers. He was eventually renamed Elmo in season 12, when he was performed by Brian Muehl. After Muehl's departure, he was briefly puppeteered by Richard Hunt, who shortly afterward tossed the role to Kevin Clash, who portrayed the character from then until his resignation in 2012. Due to his sexual misconduct, Ryan Dillon took over Elmo in 2013. Under Clash, Elmo's popularity on the show rose, especially when a toy in his image, Tickle Me Elmo, became the hottest-selling children's toy of 1996. Since then, Elmo has made starring roles in several Sesame Street-based Christmas specials.
- Elmo Saves Christmas
- Elmo's World: Happy Holidays!
- A Sesame Street Christmas Carol
- Elmo's Christmas Countdown
- "Monster Monster Day"
Other Christmas productions
- A Muppet Family Christmas - Prior to any of the above-listed Sesame Street Christmas specials, Elmo's actual first appearance in any Christmas special was in this 1987 crossover special, where he and his fellow Sesame Street Muppets join Kermit and his Muppet Show co-stars at Fozzie's mother's farmhouse to spend Christmas. As this special was made before Elmo's rise in popularity, his role here is not as prominent as it would be in later specials. He can be seen portraying one of Santa's reindeer in the Sesame Street gang's performance of The Night Before Christmas. Also, the special's original broadcast included a brief shot in which he helps Fozzie turn on the Christmas tree lights; this was cut in subsequent broadcasts as well as the home video releases.
- Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Elmo and several of his co-stars made a special guest appearance at the 2014 concert.
|This article about a character from either a Christmas movie, television episodic series or special with a Christmas theme is a stub. Please help to expand this article in the Christmas Specials Wikia.|