Holiday Greetings from the Ed Sullivan Show was a Christmas special that aired on CBS in 1992, hosted by comedian Bob Newhart and featuring vintage material from The Ed Sullivan Show along with new Christmas performances. Jim Henson's Muppets were featured guests, primarily Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy.
Kermit and Miss Piggy appear in the opening teaser discussing the show and its big stars. Though some may be bigger than Miss Piggy, Kermit claims none are as wide, earning himself a karate chop.
Later in the show, Bob Newhart narrates a brief series of clips and stills showing Jim Henson's work on The Ed Sullivan Show, segueing into the return of Kermit and Miss Piggy, in full Dickensian garb to promote The Muppet Christmas Carol. The frog and the pig squabble again and Newhart tries to promote peace by asking Miss Piggy about her karate chops. She provides a visual demonstration of several different styles, but on the last swing, Kermit ducks to the floor and Piggy inadvertently pummels Newhart instead.
A still breathless Newhart announces "that legendary author, Charles Dickens" (Gonzo) to set the scene. Gonzo and Rizzo introduce the Cratchit home, where Bob Cratchit (Kermit), Emily Cratchit (Piggy) and Tiny Tim (Robin) sing "It Feels Like Christmas." They are joined by Fozziwig (Fozzie Bear), Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker, Gonzo and Rizzo, the Muppet penguins, Mudwell the Mudbunny, and Murray, all in costume.
The special was released on VHS and DVD by SOFA Entertainment in 2003.
- Written by: Peter Elbling, Andrew Solt
- Special Muppet Material Written by: Jim Lewis
- Directed by: Jeff Marglois, Andrew Slot
- Executive Producer: Andrew Slot
- Muppet Performers: Dave Goelz as Gonzo, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Penguin, Jerry Nelson as Robin and Penguin, Steve Whitmire as Kermit the Frog, Rizzo the Rat, Beaker and Murray, and Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and Mudwell the Mudbunny
- Special Thanks to: Martin Baker, Brian Henson
- Muppets set designed by: Val Strazovec
- Holiday Greetings from the Ed Sullivan Show at the Internet Movie Database
- Muppet Wiki: Holiday Greetings from the Ed Sullivan Show