Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, according to Linus van Pelt.
Other Holiday Specials
Visit our sister wiki, the Other Holiday Specials Wiki.
"A Rocket X-Mas" is a half-hour Christmas-themed episode of the Nickelodeon animated series Rocket Power, originally released as a direct-to-video special featured on the NickToons Christmas DVD on September 30, 2003. It later made its televised premiere on the network on December 15th of the same year. The episode begins three days before Christmas, and Ray is buying cones of ice cream topped with candy canes for his kids, Otto and Reggie, as the start of their annual Christmas traditions, even though it is implied that Otto and Reggie do not actually like the ice cream he just bought. Ray is about to start reminiscing on the family's first Christmas in Ocean Shores when he suddenly spots a classic 10-foot longboard on display in a nearby store window and becomes absolutely entranced by it. After snapping out of his daze, Ray heads off to get the supplies for the paper chains he says he and his kids always make. Immediately after their dad leaves, though, Otto and Reggie express embarrassment at the idea of still making paper chains. Twister comes by, telling the siblings that he's walking Mrs. Maize's poodle while she's busy with her Christmas shopping. When he mentions that he's being paid $20 to walk dogs (he says it's a popular way to make extra money this time of the year), Reggie and Otto also decide to start offering a dog-walking service so they can make enough money to buy the longboard for their dad. (more)
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an upcoming animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
- A television special based on Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever is planned to premiere on FOX late this year. FOX is also premiering another new Simpsons Christmas episode, titled "I Won't Be Home for Christmas".
- ABC has renewed The Great Christmas Light Fight for a second season, and they will also premiere Toy Story That Time Forgot, a half-hour Christmas special spun off from the Toy Story movie trilogy, on December 2nd.
- NBC is producing an animated Christmas special for this year titled How Murray Saved Christmas, based on the best-selling children's book of the same name by Mike Reiss.
- The Hallmark Channel is producing a dozen new Christmas movies. One of them, Northpole, will star American Idol winner Candace Glover and air in November. Other Hallmark movies coming this year include A Cowboy for Christmas, Angel on my Tree, The Christmas Shepherd, Mr. Miracle, A Royal Christmas, One Christmas Eve (premiering on ABC as a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie), The Nine Lives of Christmas, One Starry Christmas, A Cookie Cutter Christmas, Angels and Ornaments, Christmas Parade, Christmas Party, Christmas Under Wraps, Holiday Help, and a currently untitled Christmas film based on Signed, Sealed, Delivered.
- Lifetime is premiering two new Christmas movies - The Christmas Pearls and Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever.
- Nickelodeon is working on another made-for-TV Christmas movie titled Santa Hunters.
- The Up TV network is premiering three original movies - Mistletoe Radio, The Tree That Saved Christmas, and Paper Angels.
- Casey Kasem, who was the original voice of Shaggy Rogers from Scooby-Doo and Robin in The Adventures of Batman, and the narrator of The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas, died on June 15th at the age of 82.
- Steve Viksten, writer of many episodes of Hey Arnold! (including "Arnold's Christmas"), passed away at the age of 54 on June 23rd.
- Meshach Taylor, who played Tony on Buffalo Bill (including its Christmas episode) and Alastair Wright on Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, died of colorectal cancer at the age of 67 on June 28th.
- James Garner, who played Red Stevens in The Ultimate Gift, died at the age of 86 on July 19th.
- Comedian Robin Williams, who played Charlie Boyd in Noel and George the Kiwi in A Wish For Wings That Work, and was best known as the original voice of Genie from Disney's Aladdin, was found dead on August 11th at the age of 63.
- Lauren Bacall, who played the grandmother in All I Want for Christmas, passed away at the age of 89 on August 12th.
- Richard Attenborough, the actor who played Santa Claus in the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street, died at the age of 90 on August 24th.
Upcoming Video Releases
- The Welcome Back, Kotter: The Complete Series DVD set (which will contain "A Sweathog Christmas Special") has been released by Shout! Factory.
- Image Entertainment has released The Twilight Zone: The Complete '80s Series DVD set (which contain the 1985 version of "Night of the Meek").
- "Merry Christmas from Grandpa", the series finale to Highway to Heaven, will be made available on Mill Creek Entertainment's Highway to Heaven: The Complete Fifth Season DVD set.
- Warner Home Video is releasing a "Diamond Luxe Edition" Blu-ray of Gremlins to celebrate the film's 30th anniversary.
- Time-Life is now taking preorders for StarVista's The Wonder Years: The Complete Series DVD set (which will of course contain the episodes "Christmas", "A Very Cutlip Christmas", and "Christmas Party"), to be shipped in early October.
- Warner Home Video is releasing a 2-disc Tom and Jerry DVD set featuring a brand-new Christmas special titled Tom and Jerry: Santa's Little Helpers, plus 29 additional Tom and Jerry shorts (presumably including The Night Before Christmas).
- Warner Home Video is also going to release a new Cartoon Network Holiday Collection DVD, which will contain the Christmas episodes of Regular Show, Adventure Time, and The Amazing World of Gumball, plus two currently unspecified bonus episodes.
- Image Entertainment is releasing single-disc Classic Christmas Episodes DVDs of The Twilight Zone (which will feature the original version of "Night of the Meek") and The Dick Van Dyke Show (which will feature "The Alan Brady Show Presents").
- Christmas Grace is scheduled for a DVD release.
- Holiday Inn and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie are scheduled to be released on Blu-ray.
- Mill Creek Entertainment is releasing the TV Guide Spotlight: TV's Merriest Holiday Episodes DVD, which features select Christmas-themed episodes from televe classic television shows.
- The Christmas Ornament, Small Town Santa, A Snow Globe Christmas, and A Very Merry Mix Up are scheduled to be released on DVD.
- "On Vodka, on Soda, on Blender, on Mixer!" will be made available on the Two and a Half Men: The Complete 11th Season DVD set.
- Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special will be made available in HD as part of Shout! Factory's Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Complete Series Blu-ray set.
- A direct-to-video film titled An Evergreen Christmas is scheduled to be released.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is scheduled to receive a 50th Anniversary Edition DVD and Blu-ray release.
- Disney will release a 2-Movie Collection Blu-ray featuring Mickey's Once and Twice Upon a Christmas.
- The Christmas Candle will be released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- The Christmas Miracle and The Christmas Gift are to be released on DVD.
- Paramount will release a 2-Movie Collection DVD containing The Thanksgiving Treasure and The House Without a Christmas Tree.
- A DVD of Sofia the First: Holiday in Enchancia is scheduled for release.
- The 1938 adaptation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas in Connecticut will be made available on Blu-ray from Warner Home Video.
- The Power Rangers Megaforce episode "The Robo Knight Before Christmas" is getting its own DVD release.
- The Robot Chicken Christmas Specials DVD is planned for release.
- Warner Home Video is issuing a 50th Anniversary Edition DVD of A Charlie Brown Christmas (even though the special's 50th anniversary is actually next year).
- The Disney Movie Club's exclusive DVD of A Goof Troop Christmas: Have Yourself a Goofy Little Christmas, originally released in 2008, is scheduled to become available in retail outlets.
- Amazon.com is taking preorders for the Robot and Monster: The Complete Series manufacture-on-demand DVD set (which will contain "Baconmas").
- An individual DVD set of The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete 6th Season (which will contain "Twas the Pie Before Christmas") will be released on a currently unspecified date.
- The Glee: The Complete 5th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets, which will contain "Previously Unaired Christmas", will be released on a currently unspecified date.
- The Michael J. Fox Show: The Complete 1st Season, which will include the show's "Christmas" episode, is planned for release on an unspecified date.
- The Modern Family: The Complete 5th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets, which will include "The Old Man & the Tree", will be released on a currently unspecified date.
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies