Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, according to Linus van Pelt.
Other Holiday Specials
Visit our sister wiki, the Other Holiday Specials Wiki.
"In Arms Way" is a Christmas-themed segment from the tenth episode of the Warner Bros. animated television series Steven Spielberg presents Freakazoid! The episode featuring the segment was originally broadcast on Kids' WB! on December 16, 1995. The segment begins on Christmas Eve with Freakazoid busy trying to do his Christmas shopping, having unfortunately waited until the last minute to do so. While Freakazoid is out looking for presents for his friends and family, a nearby coffee shop receives a sudden visit from Arms Akimbo, a mobster whose arms are permanently fixed in a jaunty pose. Joe the announcer tells Akimbo's origin to the viewers, explaining that he was raised by his parents to be a print model, and after years of posing that left his arms frozen in their position, he turned to a life of crime. Akimbo tells the coffee shop's clerk that he is here to sell "Oops Insurance", and by that, he means that he and his henchmen will knock everything in the store to the ground unless the proprietors give him all their money. (more...)
- The American Broadcasting Company is celebrating the 50th anniversary of A Charlie Brown Christmas with a special retrospective titled It's Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown, airing on November 30th at 9:00 PM EST.
- The Hallmark Channel has at least eight new movies planned for this Christmas - On Time for Christmas (starring Candace Cameron Bure and Paul Greene), Northpole Open for Christmas (a sequel to last year's Northpole), The Secret Life of Mrs. Claus, Ice Sculpture Christmas, Charming Christmas, Crown for Christmas, Better Than Perfect, and Christmas Neverending (another adaptation of the Christmas Every Day story, this one written and directed by Robbie Fox). Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is also premiering The Bridge. In the meantime, Family for Christmas premiered as part of the Hallmark Channel's Christmas in July event on July 11th.
- Angels in the Snow (starring Kristy Swanson and Chris Potter) and My One Christmas Wish (starring Amber Riley, Matreya Fedor, Ali Skovbye, Jarod Joseph, Priscilla Faia, and Ken Tremblett) will premiere on Up this holiday season.
- A movie titled The Christmas Pearl is in the works for Lifetime's Christmas line-up next year.
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
- Movie composer James Horner, whose film scores included the live-action version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, was tragically killed in a plane crash at the age of 61 on June 22nd.
- Susan Sheridan, whose voice credits included Santa's First Christmas and Father Christmas and the Missing Reindeer, died at the age of 68 on August 8th.
Upcoming Video Releases
- September 8th
- DreamWorks Classics is bringing out 45th Anniversary Collector's Edition DVD and Blu-ray releases for Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (even though Frosty's 45th anniversary was actually last year). They will also once again be releasing their Original Christmas Classics box set (which also includes Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Cricket on the Hearth), this time also labeled as an "Anniversary Collector's Edition", on the same day.
- September 15th
- "The Clean Room Infiltration" will be made available on The Big Bang Theory: The Complete 8th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets.
- October 6th
- A 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray collection of Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York will be released. The two films' Blu-rays and their DVD counterparts will also be released individually.
- Shout! Factory is bringing out their own individual DVD and Blu-ray release of Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special.
- "Hearth's Warming Eve" will be included on the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic & Littlest Pet Shop: Winter Vacation Double Feature compilation DVD.
- Christmas at Cartwright's and The Best Christmas Party Ever are scheduled to be released on DVD.
- October 13th
- A new "Grinchmas Edition" Blu-ray of the live-action remake of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is scheduled for release.
- Paramount is releasing a DVD of the 4Kids Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, titled Cowabunga Christmas!, which will of course include "The Christmas Aliens".
- Shout! Factory will release The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour: Christmas Specials compilation DVD.
- October 16th
- Last year's Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert (which featured a special guest appearance by the Sesame Street Muppets) will be made available to purchase on DVD.
- October 20th
- Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas is getting released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- A Complete Series DVD set of Back to the Future: The Animated Series (including "Dickens of a Christmas") will be released, both as its own DVD set as well as in a bundle with new DVDs and Blu-rays of the Back to the Future film trilogy.
- October 20th
- Not to be outdone by its live-action remake, the animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is also getting a 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Blu-ray (even though the special's actual 50th anniversary is next year).
- October 27th
- Marry Me for Christmas is heading to DVD.
- November 4th
- Toy Story That Time Forgot will be made available on DVD and Blu-ray.
- November 10th
- Image Entertainment is releasing a brand new Complete Series DVD set of The Dick Van Dyke Show (including "The Alan Brady Show Presents").
- December 1st
- Warner Home Video has scheduled a 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray release for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (even though the film's 25th anniversary was last year).
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies