Disney TV Animation is 30!
We wish a happy 30th anniversary to Walt Disney Television Animation!
Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, as quoted by Linus van Pelt.
The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper is a computer-animated short produced by DreamWorks Animation, and the first Christmas-themed production spun off from the Madagascar films. The 12-minute film showcases a Christmas-themed adventure starring the Penguins of Madagascar (as titled by their series on Nickelodeon). The short premiered in theaters on October 7, 2005, in front of the film Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. It was directed by animation veteran Gary Trousdale, produced by Teresa Cheng, and written by Michael Lachance. In the story (which takes place before the events of the original Madgascar film), the animals of the New York Zoo are all celebrating on Christmas Eve, except for the lonely polar bear, Ted. Private, seeing how sad Ted is, asks Skipper if they can go give Ted a present, but Kowalski says they do not have one. In spite of this, Private slips out of the zoo on Christmas Eve to find a present for Ted. About half an hour later, the other three Penguins notice that Private is missing and go looking for him. (more)
- Select Movie Tavern theaters are celebrating the holiday season by screening classic Christmas movies every Tuesday and Wednesday in November and December. Click here to see what's on the line-up and if a Movie Tavern theater near you is playing these movies.
- ABC Family has announced their 2014 25 Days of Christmas schedule on their Facebook page. Highlights include the network television premiere of Arthur Christmas and new holiday episodes of The Fosters, Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars, Chasing Life, Melissa & Joey, and Baby Daddy. Ironically, they do not seem to be premiering any new Christmas-themed Original Movies this year.
- A television special based on Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever is planned to premiere on FOX late this year. FOX is also airing a new Simpsons Christmas episode, titled "I Won't Be Home for Christmas", on December 7th.
- ABC has renewed The Great Christmas Light Fight for a second season, and they will also premiere Toy Story That Time Forgot, a half-hour Christmas special spun off from the Toy Story movie trilogy, on December 2nd.
- NBC is producing an animated Christmas special for this year titled How Murray Saved Christmas, based on the best-selling children's book of the same name by Mike Reiss. They are also premiering Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas, a one-hour animated adaptation of the movie Elf.
- The Disney Channel is premiering Jessie's Aloha Holidays with Parker & Joey, a special one-hour Christmas crossover between Jessie and Liv and Maddie, on November 28th. Additionally, new Christmas-themed episodes of Girl Meets World, Dog with a Blog, and I Didn't Do It will premiere next month.
- Nickelodeon is premiering Santa Hunters on November 28th. In addition, Christmas-themed episodes of Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn, The Thundermans, and AwesomenessTV will debut the very next day.
- The Hallmark Channel is producing a dozen new Christmas movies this year. One of them, Northpole, stars American Idol winner Candace Glover and air in November. Other Hallmark movies coming this year include A Cowboy for Christmas, Angel on my Tree, The Christmas Shepherd, Mr. Miracle, A Royal Christmas, One Christmas Eve (premiering on ABC as a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie), The Nine Lives of Christmas, One Starry Christmas, A Cookie Cutter Christmas, Angels and Ornaments, Christmas Parade, Christmas Party, Christmas Under Wraps, Holiday Help, and a Christmas film based on Signed, Sealed, Delivered.
- Lifetime is premiering five new Christmas movies - An En Vogue Christmas on November 22nd, Seasons of Love on November 23rd, Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever on November 29th, Wally Lamb's Wishin' and Hopin' on December 6th, and The Santa Con on December 13th.
- The Up TV network is premiering three original movies - Naughty & Nice, The Tree That Saved Christmas, and Paper Angels.
- Illumination Entertainment is working on an animated movie adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that will be directed by Pete Candeland and is scheduled for release on November 27, 2017.
- After a four-week contract disagreement that lasted from October 21st to November 21st, the Dish Network satellite service has officially reinstated the Turner networks, including Cartoon Network and Boomerang.
- Richard Attenborough, the actor who played Santa Claus in the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street, died at the age of 90 on August 24th.
- Joan Rivers, who appeared in Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special, died on September 4th at the age of 81.
- Jan Hooks, the woman who voiced Lil in Frosty Returns (not to be confused with Phil DeVille's twin sister) and also the original voice of Manjula Nahasapeemapetilon (Apu's wife on The Simpsons), died at the age of 57 on October 9th.
- Gerard "Gerry" Parkes, the actor who portrayed Doc in the North American version of Fraggle Rock, passed away at the age of 90 on October 19th.
- Animation producer and director Larry Latham, whose credits include The Smurfs episode "Baby's First Christmas" and the 1997 version of Babes in Toyland, and was best known for his work on Disney's TaleSpin, died of cancer on November 2nd.
Upcoming Video Releases
- The Power Rangers Megaforce episode "The Robo Knight Before Christmas" now has its own DVD release.
- The Robot Chicken Christmas Specials DVD has been released.
- "Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C and Propane" is now available on the King of the Hill: The Complete 8th Season DVD set.
- If you missed the premiere of Northpole on the Hallmark Channel, you can now buy it on DVD, exclusively at Walmart.
- If you haven't bought the individual DVD release of A Fairly Odd Christmas, you can now also buy it in the new A Fairly Odd Movie Trilogy manufacture-on-demand DVD, now available on Amazon.com.
- A Merry Friggin' Christmas, one of the final starring roles of the late Robin Williams, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- A Royal Christmas will be made available on DVD exclusively at Walmart for those who miss the premiere broadcast.
- Warner Home Video is issuing a 50th Anniversary Edition DVD of A Charlie Brown Christmas (even though the special's 50th anniversary is actually next year).
- "Simpsons Christmas Stories" will be made available on The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season DVD set.
- Guess Who's Coming to Christmas is being released on DVD.
- Jingle All the Way 2, a Schwarzenegger-less direct-to-video sequel to the 1996 movie, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray.
- Echo Bridge Entertainment is bringing out another compilation DVD of classic TV Christmas episodes - Classic TV Christmas Volume 3.
- "Christmas Guy" will be made available on the Family Guy: Volume 13 DVD set.
- If you miss the premieres of Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever on Lifetime or How Murray Saved Christmas on NBC, you'll be able to buy their DVD releases that come out on this day.
- An individual DVD set of The Bob Newhart Show: The Final Season (which will contain "Twas the Pie Before Christmas") will be released.
- For those of you who haven't bought The Wonder Years: The Complete Series DVD set, an individual DVD set of The Wonder Years: Season Two (including the show's first Christmas episode) will be released.
- The Glee: The Complete 5th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets, which will contain "Previously Unaired Christmas", will be released on a currently unspecified date.
- The Michael J. Fox Show: The Complete 1st Season, which will include the show's "Christmas" episode, is planned for release on an unspecified date.
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies