Top 10 Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the top 10 Christmas specials of all time.
Worst Christmas Specials
Wiki Entertainment staff's picks for the worst 10 Christmas specials of all time.
The True Meaning
Read about the true meaning of Christmas, according to Linus van Pelt.
Other Holiday Specials
Visit our sister wiki, the Other Holiday Specials Wiki.
A Muppet Family Christmas is a Christmas television special starring the casts of Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and Fraggle Rock, originally aired on ABC in 1987. It won an award from the Writers' Guild of America in 1989, and was also nominated for the 1988 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Children's Program. The special opens with most of The Muppet Show cast driving through a blizzard in a pickup truck, singing "We Need a Little Christmas". They have decided to spend Christmas at the old farm where Fozzie Bear's mother, Mrs. Emily Bear, lives. And since she loves surprises, they have not called to tell her they were coming. Unbeknownst to them, Mrs. Bear plans to spend Christmas in Malibu, and she has rented it to Doc and his dog Sprocket from Fraggle Rock. Doc is looking forward to having "a nice, quiet Christmas" in the countryside, but immediately following his and Sprocket's arrival, the Muppets themselves show up. Emily is pleasantly surprised with the appearance of her cub and "his weirdo friends", despite that she now has to cancel her trip to Malibu, and willingly allows them to stay. Doc, on the other hand, is a bit peeved that the house he rented has just gotten so many unexpected visitors, and asks Sprocket if they're "anything like these Fraggles you keep telling me about." Then the telephone rings; it is Miss Piggy, calling to tell Kermit that she has a photo session underway and needs to get it done before she can join them. (more)
- NBC is producing an animated Christmas special for next year titled How Murray Saved Christmas, based on the best-selling children's book of the same name by Mike Reiss.
- Larry D. Mann, the voice actor behind Yukon Cornelius in in the Rankin/Bass classic Rudoilph the Red Nosed Reindeer, passed away on January 7th at the age of 91 in Los Angeles.
- Russell Johnson, who portrayed Professor Roy Hinkley on Gilligan's Island (including its Christmas episode, "Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk"), died of kidney failure on January 16th at the age of 89.
- Dave Madden, who played Reuben Kincaid on The Partridge Family (including its Christmas episode), died on January 16th at the age of 82.
- Arthur Rankin Jr., the "Rankin" half of Rankin-Bass, passed away January 30th at the age of 89 at his home near Harrington Sound in Bermuda.
- Harold Ramis, who directed The Office episode "A Benihana Christmas" and was best known as Dr. Egon Spengler from Ghostbusters, died at the age of 69 on February 24th.
Upcoming Video Releases
- "North Pole Cat" will be one of the Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats episodes included on Mill Creek Entertainment's TV Guide Spotlight: Totally '80s Toons DVD set.
- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will be releasing The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series, which will contain "Reinforcement", on Blu-ray.
- Shout! Factory's website will start selling their The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete Series DVD set, which will contain "I'm Dreaming of a Slight Christmas", "Bob Has To Have His Tonsils Out, So He Spends Christmas Eve In the Hospital", and "Twas the Pie Before Christmas" (which has not been released on DVD previously). The DVD set will later be made available in general retail stores on May 27th.
- The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1 Blu-ray set, which includes the show's "Christmas Story", will be released.
- The Honeymooners: Classic 39 Episodes Blu-ray set, which will include their Christmas episode, will be released.
- Warner Home Video will release a retail DVD set of Batman: The Brave and the Bold - The Complete First Season, which will contain "Invasion of the Secret Santas!"
- The Warehouse 13 Christmas episode "The Greatest Gift" will be included as a bonus feature on the Warehouse 13: Season Five DVD set.
- Warner Home Video will release The New Adventures of Batman: The Complete Series DVD set, which will include "Cool, Cruel Christmas Caper".
- Amazon.com is taking preorders for the manufacture-on-demand DVD sets of The Fairly OddParents: Season 6 (which will contain "Merry Wishmas") and Robot and Monster: The Complete Series (which will contain "Baconmas").
- StarVista and Time-Life plan to release The Wonder Years: The Complete Series DVD set (which will of course contain the episodes "Christmas", "A Very Cutlip Christmas", and "Christmas Party") this fall.
- An individual DVD set of The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete 6th Season (which will contain "Twas the Pie Before Christmas") will be released on a currently unspecified date.
- The Glee: The Complete 5th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets, which will contain "Previously Unaired Christmas", will be released on a currently unspecified date (presumably after April).
- The Michael J. Fox Show: The Complete 1st Season, which will include the show's "Christmas" episode, is planned for release on an unspecified date.
- The Modern Family: The Complete 5th Season DVD and Blu-ray sets, which will include "The Old Man & the Tree", will be released on a currently unspecified date.
Popular Christmas Specials
Popular Christmas Movies