|Grandma plays the song on the piano in A Garfield Christmas Special.|
|Written by:||Ernst Anschütz|
"O Tannenbaum", or in its English version, "O Christmas Tree", is a Christmas carol of German origin.
A Tannenbaum is a fir tree (German die Tanne) or Christmas tree (der Weihnachtsbaum). Its evergreen qualities have long inspired musicians to write several "Tannenbaum" songs in German.
The best known version was written in 1824 by the Leipzig organist, teacher and composer Ernst Anschütz. The melody is an old folk tune. The first known "Tannenbaum" song lyrics date back to 1550. A similar 1615 song by Melchior Franck (1573–1639) begins:
- Ach Tannenbaum, ach Tannenbaum, du bist ein edler Zweig! Du grünest uns den Winter, die liebe Sommerzeit.
Appearances in Christmas specials
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (instrumental)
- A Garfield Christmas Special
- A Claymation Christmas Celebration
- Disney's Christmas Fantasy on Ice (instrumental)
- Disney Sing Along Songs: The Twelve Days of Christmas
- Wee Sing The Best Christmas Ever!
- Alpha's Magical Christmas
- The Santa Clause
- Barney's Night Before Christmas
- Barney's Christmas Star
- "The Christmas Tree"
- "Jay Jay's Christmas Adventure"
- "The Finster Who Stole Christmas"