"O Tannenbaum", or in its English version, "O Christmas Tree", is a Christmas song of German origin.
A Tannenbaum is a fir tree (German die Tanne) or Christmas tree (der Weihnachtsbaum). Its evergreen qualities have long inspired musicians to write several "Tannenbaum" songs in German.
The best known version was written in 1824 by the Leipzig organist, teacher and composer Ernst Anschütz. The melody is an old folk tune. The first known lyrics date back to 1550. A similar 1615 song by Melchior Franck (1573–1639) begins:
- Ach Tannenbaum, ach Tannenbaum, du bist ein edler Zweig! Du grünest uns den Winter, die liebe Sommerzeit.
Appearances in Christmas specials
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (instrumental)
- A Garfield Christmas Special
- A Claymation Christmas Celebration
- Disney's Christmas Fantasy on Ice (instrumental)
- Disney Sing Along Songs: The Twelve Days of Christmas
- Wee Sing The Best Christmas Ever!
- Alpha's Magical Christmas
- The Santa Clause
- Barney's Night Before Christmas
- Barney's Christmas Star
- 101 Dalmatians: "A Christmas Cruella"
- Animaniacs: "The Christmas Tree"
- Jay Jay's Christmas Adventure
- Johnny Bravo: "A Johnny Bravo Christmas"
- All Grown Up!: "The Finster Who Stole Christmas"
|Christmas with the Chipmunks, Vol. 2||1963|
|Exciting Christmas Stories with Scooby-Doo and Friends||1978|
|A Family Christmas||1980|
|Rainbow Brite Christmas||1985|
|We Wish You a Merry Christmas||1993|
|Elmo Saves Christmas: Holiday Favorites||1998|
|Arthur's Perfect Christmas||2000|
|The Looney Tunes Kwazy Christmas||2000|
|Disney's Christmas Collection||2003|
|A Looney Tunes Sing-A-Long Christmas||2006|
|Disney's Holiday Celebration 2007||2007|
|Glee: The Music, the Christmas Album||2010|
|Jingle Bell Fun||2012|