Sam the Eagle is a character from the television series The Muppet Show. He is an American eagle, who feels his species and role as national symbol have placed certain responsibilities upon his shoulders. He has taken it upon himself to promote and protect wholesome American morals and values, and he works behind the scenes of The Muppet Show as self-appointed censor and advocate of cultural, educational acts. Sam is appalled by the nonsense that passes for entertainment on the series, and does his best to keep things in check, even though his pleas for an end to madness are usually ignored.
Appearances in Christmas specials
- A Muppet Family Christmas - Sam's first appearance in a Christmas special has him joining his Muppet Show co-stars at Fozzie's mother's farmhouse, though he does not seem to know why he came with them, asking Mrs. Bear "Why am I here?" shortly after they arrive. Later, when the Sesame Street gang performs The Night Before Christmas, Sam is appalled at the casting of the Two-Headed Monster as St. Nicholas, asking "Is nothing sacred?"
- The Muppet Christmas Carol - In this adaptation of A Christmas Carol, Sam is the headmaster to young Ebenezer Scrooge while at boarding school, who sends him off to be mentored in business by Fozziwig (Fozzie Bear). Sam's characteristic fervent patriotism causes Gonzo, in the role of Charles Dickens, to intervene in the story and correct him that he is teaching young Scrooge the ways of business because it is "the British way!"
- It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
- A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa - Sam makes a brief appearance to deliver a public service announcement stating that reading other people's mail is a federal offense, discouraging Fozzie from reading the letters that were addressed to Santa Claus.
- "Single All the Way" - In the Christmas episode of The Muppets, while the rich mix of Muppets, talk show and Christmas chaos swirl about them, Sam reveals a surprising and deep attraction to the free-spirited Janice of the Electric Mayhem, and seeks to act on it.
|This article about a character from either a Christmas movie, television episodic series or special with a Christmas theme is a stub. Please help to expand this article in the Christmas Specials Wikia.|